Image Map

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Thanks to Those Who Call Me Mom...




I thought it appropriate to thank all the little people who graciously bestowed upon me the title of Mother!!...I'm honored and grateful that all of you choose to honor me every year on this day, when it's really me that should be calling attention to you!
So I think I'll let you know what I think, so pay attention...



My eldest son, Jerry...
Good God, you were huge
Thankfully c-sections were a quick and effective option for any baby with a ginormous head like yours. I learned quickly... that head carried a huge brain with a large space chock full of humor, and empathy.
You grew up with a big heart and such sarcasm...a tricky combination! I thought you'd be a stand-up comic in a dark nightclub...or an underpaid and overworked doctor...
You impressed all of us when you became a lawyer, a champion for the under dog, and a tireless fighter. Your determination has made a difference...that's a huge accomplishment, you should be proud.
You're the best of all worlds...a philosopher, a realist, and an old soul in a great suit. You never forget to give credit where it's due or admit a mistake if it's yours. You'll make a great husband very soon!
I'm glad you were the first to call me Mom...now lose the cigars.    





My youngest son, Michael...
You like to say that after Jerry was born, I looked at him, shook my head, and decided I'd better try again for something better. You were quite the comedian. And although it didn't go quite like you said, it was a blessing I tried again...for many reasons... 
You know what's right, and you do the right thing...that's not always easy.
You became a teacher, not just any teacher, but an advocate for the challenged. You see there's a difference you can make, and you work at it until it happens. You'll be the teacher your students look back at, and remember.
You drove me crazy while growing up...the attitude, the beer hidden in my hydrangeas. I thought you'd never stop arguing with me...and you really haven't stopped...but now you call it a debate, and sometimes I even win. I'm proud to call you my son...and anytime you'd like to bless me with grandchildren I won't complain.






My eldest daughter, Maggie...
Thank you Lord, for a girl. 
I thought I'd never stop stepping on cars and folding boy's underwear.
You were the little princess, always pretty in pink, yet never afraid to jump in the mud. You grew up surrounded by boys, and quickly learned how to wrap them around your finger! You loved the attention and you certainly received it. You were Pop-Pop's little granddaughter, and you spent hours listening to him read to you...and losing him was your first huge heartbreak.
You were a sweetheart with a huge sassy streak...a teenager with an attitude, but quick with an apology. 
You also grew up to be a teacher, a leader to the little ones. You're the teacher that doesn't tolerate bullying, meanness, or exclusion. You're making a difference in the lives of many, yet it comes effortlessly to you...it's just your nature to do the right thing. I'm so glad you're the best you can be. Anyone who can call you their friend is a very lucky person...that includes you Bryan :)






My youngest daughter Molly...
I'm sure it's hard to keep hearing that you're the baby of the family!...but believe me, it's a phrase full of love...
Especially when you've accomplished so much as an adult. I was so grateful to have yet another daughter. Yes, those older brothers of yours teased you mercilessly, but I'm sure you remember how they also protected you, drove you around, and screened your dates! And yes, your older sister loved to lock you out of her room. But you learned that time changes everything. And when you walk down the aisle as Maggie's Maid of Honor...I'm sure you'll forget the teenage traumas. 
You have aspirations and you work hard to achieve them...you always did things your way...quietly and without complaint. You love to have your ducks in a row, and you do a great job accomplishing that. You're the keeper of the peace, the one who settles the arguments, the mediator. You're driven, but you still accept a little advice. I'm not sure what path you'll take, but you'll follow that path on your own terms. You'll do great things, and I'll keep trying to forget you're not the baby...




So today I'll give thanks for my children. Every one of you gave me enough scares, too much sass, and way too many sleepless nights...but who would I be without those experiences?...well, I'd be less stressed, but I made a choice to raise a family. And I wouldn't have it any other way. You can all marry, have children, and grow to a ripe old age, but to me you'll be forever my children...
Sorry, there's absolutely nothing you can do to change that.





Love Always,
Your Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment