Image Map

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Pepper-Corn Chowder

I made this soup in a hurry, so I apologize for the lack of detailed pictures...you won't see my food processor in action, nor will you see the chives on the finished product. Just follow the directions, and you'll have a really healthy soup without too much effort!! Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1c chopped onion
1 leek, cleaned and chopped
5c frozen corn (I use 3c of corn and 2c of frozen peas)
28oz chicken broth
1 medium red sweet pepper, chopped
1/8tsp cayenne pepper (I use red pepper flakes)
3 threads saffron (optional)
Snipped fresh chives and coarse black pepper for garnish

Coat a 4qt dutch oven with cooking spray, and heat pan for one minute. Add onion and leek and cook until tender, about 5 min. Stir occasionally.






Add corn and peas and cook for 5 min. until veggies are softened. Add 14oz of the chicken broth, bring to boiling and simmer 20 min., until veggies are very tender. Cool slightly.




Transfer half of the corn mixture to a blender of food processor ; cover and blend until smooth. Return pureed corn mixture to dutch oven. Only puree half of the mixture, when it's added to the remaining mixture the soup consistency is just right.




Add remaining broth, red sweet pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and saffron. Heat through and top with fresh chives and black pepper. Yum!





I added a dash of Krazy salt...I love it but cannot find it locally, so once again I ordered from Amazon!




No comments:

Post a Comment