Image Map

Friday, January 22, 2010

Love this cookbook!



According to Trisha, her husband Garth loves this soup. I'm not sure that you'll love it, but I certainly do. It's not low fat, most recipes in this book tend to be a little high in calories. Moderation is the key here, so don't eat the entire pot....!
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

Ingredients:   (serves 8)

3T butter
1tsp minced garlic
1 finely chopped medium onion
2T flour
3-14oz cans chicken broth
4c half and half
1-10.75oz can cream of chicken soup
1c prepared salsa (spicy or mild-your choice)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled, drained, and shredded
1-15oz can kidney beans, drained
1-15oz can whole kernel corn, drained
2tsp ground cumin
1-1.27 packet fajita seasoning mix
1-16oz bag tortilla chips
8oz grated Monterey Jack cheese
8oz grayed sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2c sour cream

Melt butter in a soup pot, add garlic and onion and saute over medium heat for 5min, until softened.
Add flour and stir well, cooking for 1 minute more.

 

Add broth and half-and-half. Bring to a boil over medium heat, about 10min then reduce heat to low.






Stir in in cream of chicken soup, salsa, chicken, beans, corn, cumin, and fajita seasoning.



 Continue to simmer over low heat for 15min.
 

Crumble the tortilla chips into individual bowls and top with soup. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and a dollop of sour cream. Yum!





Rather than just serving bread with this soup, I decided to raid the messy pantry and do something else. I bought this (at Walmart) a couple of days ago. It looked interesting but when I brought it home I wasn't sure what to do with it...



Tandori Garlic and Cilantro Naan....my picture taking is never centered (like me)



I brushed a little olive oil on it and heated it up for a few minutes...




...and the I did what every good italian girl does.....I made pizza! I lightly fried (I mean sauteed) a chopped green pepper...




Tossed that on the bread with some chopped tomatoes, fresh garlic, and mozzarella (of course)...




Baked it for 8min at 350....





This is not a low-cal Friday night!
The soup freezes well, so we're having two very small servings, and the rest will be saved for the kids....if they come over...soon...(I hope). I really miss cooking for a crowd.











No comments:

Post a Comment