Image Map

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

It's not soup weather yet...

...but I couldn't resist!


Country Living Magazine's
Chicken Noodle Soup

2T extra-virgin olive oil
3 leeks, cut into 1/3 inch pieces (try to keep rings intact)
Coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper
7c chicken broth (homemade is always better, but not required!)
1 smashed garlic clove
6 oz. wide egg noodles
3c sliced roast chicken
2c frozen baby peas, thawed
2T fresh, chopped dill


In a 12" skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add leeks in a single layer, so the rings don't unravel.
Season with salt and pepper and cook 10 minutes.
Turn leeks, and cook another 10 minutes on low heat.

I bought pre-trimmed leeks at Trader Joe's.
(I love a short cut)






Meanwhile, in a 5 quart pot, bring broth and garlic to a boil. 
(I used  10 cups instead of 7, I like my soup thinner, if you follow the recipe the soup is more like a stew)
Stir in noodles and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
Discard garlic.
Set aside a few leeks for garnish.
Add remaining leeks to soup, along with chicken, peas, 
and dill. (I also added a little parsley)
Cook for 2 minutes more.



Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle into bowls and garnish with reserved leeks.

Makes about 6 servings.




" As the days grow short, some faces grow long. But not mine. Every Autumn, when the wind turns cold and darkness comes early, I am suddenly happy. It's time to start making soup again!"

                                                             ~Cookbook author, Leslie Newman