Image Map

Sunday, March 14, 2010

The BEST Irish Soda Bread...

I have worshipped this soda bread recipe for years. It's a keeper...although my mother is Italian and therefore poo-pooed anything with the word "Irish" in it. My dear Dad was Irish and he was certainly proud of his heritage. I'm guessing that I'm half Irish...dontcha think?? {Don't ask my mother}. 
My parents were married for 55 years and my Mom did her best to convince me I was Italian with just a smidge of Irish. In all fairness I have embraced both nationalities. Although my recipe collection is heavy on the Italian recipes, my Irish shows up in other ways...especially with this recipe...




{And his is my Dad before he had any idea that there was a woman out there who would try to convert him to Italianism}






Mary Doyle's Irish Soda Bread 
{served at The Corner Bakery}


Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2 and 3/4 C. of flour, plus 1/4 C for kneading
1/3 C. granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 C. raisins  {I use one cup of golden raisins}
1T Caraway seed {can be omitted if you have a problem with caraway seeds}
2 eggs
1 C. buttermilk


Mix all the dry ingredients together {reserve the 1/4 C of flour for kneading}



Sprinkle that 1/4 C of flour on the counter or wherever else you do your kneading...





Whisk the eggs with the buttermilk in a separate bowl and then combine with the dry ingredients...





...and get ready for some stickiness...






Incorporate that excess flour into the dough and shape into a round loaf....




cut a couple of slashes into the dough and bake for 50-55 minutes until golden brown




I use a convection oven so I bake this bread at 315 degrees for 50 minutes...just stick a toothpick in it to check 


Let it cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing








I serve it with apricot preserves and butter, I also toast it for breakfast!




It will keep for a couple of days on the counter if you wrap it ...but it usually disappears before that around here...




 I prefer tea with my soda bread but someone brought over a little bit o'soda...


{my son...advertising for one of his clients}




Enjoy
{no matter what your nationality may be}

1 comment:

  1. oh suureee make the bread as soon as i'm off for school. HMPH

    -Domer

    ReplyDelete